An officer was shot in the line of duty Saturday, April 17th 2015 in Buffalo, New York. It was confirmed that the deputy was wearing an Armor Express vest and that the vest prevented serious injury or death. At this point the following information has been made public (this information will be updated as more information is released):
- Officer name: Sheriff’s Deputy Joseph Tortorella
- Incident: Deputy Tortorella was responding to a 911 call when the suspect engaged him after shooting his parents in the neck – after being shot by Deputy Tortorella the suspect took his own life with a self-inflicted wound.
- Extent of injury: Officer shot in the chest, stopped by body armor
- Threat: Handgun (specifics unreleased)
- Location: Lockport, New York
- Police department: Niagara County Sheriff’s Office
- Vest worn: Halo II
The following are links to articles surrounding the incident:
Update: Carl Lorio – an Armor Express representative presented Deputy Tortorella with a plaque and challenge coin for his heroic action.
Armor Express proudly serves the men and women of the Armed Forces and Law Enforcement communities. Currently Armor Express maintains prime contracts with the United States Army, Navy and Air Force, as well as, numerous high profile domestic and international Police organizations.
Armor Express continues their MISSION of SAVING LIVES by providing superior quality body armor with unparalleled protection, comfort, wearability and service.
Central Lake, Michigan
ABOUT CENTRAL LAKE ARMOR EXPRESS, INC.
With headquarters in Central Lake, MI and a nationwide network of sales representatives, Central Lake Armor Express, Inc. (DBA Armor Express), is an ISO 9001 registered company. It manufactures superior quality body armor with unparalleled protection, comfort, wearability and service. A range of products for men and women includes concealable and tactical body armor, accessories, and hard armor. "Body Armor Reborn" is the company motto.