https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdMFfylTdg0 If you missed it at SHOT Show 2024, here is Marco giving us a…
When it comes to body armor, finding the right fit is essential for ensuring optimal protection and comfort. In this blog post, we'll explore the benefits and drawbacks of custom-sized body armor, alpha or standard sized armor, and one size fits all solutions, highlighting the need for all options in different situations. Finally, we'll provide you with an easy way to contact our experts for personalized advice and guidance on choosing the right body armor solution.
Custom Sized Body Armor: Tailored Protection and Comfort
Custom-sized body armor offers several advantages, including:
- Enhanced Protection: Custom-sized armor is designed to fit your specific body shape and size, ensuring optimal coverage and protection. This tailored fit reduces the risk of armor coverage gaps or movement that could compromise your safety.
- Increased Comfort: Custom-sized body armor is more comfortable to wear, as it is designed to fit your body contours precisely. This can result in reduced fatigue and increased mobility, particularly during extended periods of wear.
However, custom-sized body armor also has some drawbacks, such as:
- Higher Cost: Custom-sized armor, while similar in pricing to other options comes with a higher price tag in the sense that it cannot be shared and therefore requires replacement for new recruits or to be purchased in multiples for larger agencies that had planned to share their body armor between personnel.
- Longer Lead Time: Custom-sized body armor may have longer production and delivery times, making it less suitable for situations that require immediate protection.
- Not as Forgiving to changes in body type: Changes in muscle mass, weight gain/loss, pregnancy and other changes to body type may require users to purchase a new set of armor panels and vest due to the tailored fit.
One Size Fits All Solutions: Versatility and Accessibility
One size fits all body armor offers several advantages, including:
- Versatility: One size fits all solutions can accommodate a wide range of body sizes and shapes, making them a practical choice for organizations with diverse personnel or those who require armor for different users.
- Cost Effective: Because the armor is highly adjustable, organizations can adopt shared armor policies by shift, vehicle, etc., which significantly reduces the overall cost for body armor equipment and accessories. For example, if a department purchases a particular collection of accessories for their vest, ie radio pouches, tourniquets, etc. then they could reduce the overall quantity required of these accessory kits by the number of vests they have to outfit, this can offer a significant cost savings.
- Faster Availability: One size fits all armor is often mass produced and stocked, making it more readily available.
However, one size fits all body armor can have it's cons, such as:
- Compromised Protection: One size fits all solutions may not provide the same level of protection as custom-sized armor, as they are not tailored to an individual's specific body shape and size.
- Reduced Comfort: One size fits all armor may be less comfortable to wear, particularly during extended periods of use, due to its less precise fit.
Alpha (General) Sizing: ie X-Small, Small, Medium Large, XL, etc.
Alpha (General) Sizing is an option offered by many body armor manufacturers. When done well it offers a solution that lands between both Custom Sized body armor, and a One Size Fits All Solutions, presenting a familiar gamut of sizes that accommodate most body sizes and types.
Alpha sizing offers several advantages, including:
- Industry Wide Sizing Consistency: Body Armor in Alpha Sizing is often built to match standard sizing criteria of other uniform items in its respective industry. So if you wear a size Large gender neutral uniform shirt, you will likely fit in a Alpha size Large body armor product. This can expedite the sizing process and timelines required to place an accurate order.
- Good Coverage, Good Fit: While Alpha sized won’t be quite as precise a fit as a Custom Sized armor product, it will offer good coverage with less bulk and armor overlap than a One Size Fits All Solution.
Alpha sized products have their drawbacks as well:
- Average comfort and mobility: Unless you are a stereotypical body type, you will rely on the vests adjustability to accommodate “out of the ordinary” body shape characteristics. Luckily if this is taken into consideration at the time of size selection it shouldn’t be difficult to find a size that offers a good level of protection and comfort. It’s important to work with a manufacturer that builds products with a good level of adjustability for this reason.
- Potential for Poor grading: Unlike Custom Sized body armor where the product is guaranteed to match your body shape based on specific measurements taken prior to manufacturing, Alpha Sizing relies on the manufacturer’s capacity to grade their Alpha Size options properly to accommodate for as many body types as possible within their sizing. This is accomplished through grading. Not all manufacturers take the process of grading their products as seriously as they should, which can result in customers struggling to find a size that fits their body shape within the options offered. Consider this, have you ever had a clothing manufacturer that you just couldn’t match your body within one of their sizes without a major sacrifice to fit? This is likely a result of poor grading technique.
Finding the Right Fit
When choosing between custom-sized, one size fits all solutions, and Alpha (Standard) sizing it's crucial to consider how you will use the armor and balance the need for protection, comfort, and cost. In some cases, a custom-sized solution may be the best choice, while in others, a one size fits all solution may provide adequate protection and versatility at a more accessible price point. For many, an Alpha Sized solutions strikes the best balance between a perfect fit, and a product with superior adjustability.
Regardless of the route you choose, understanding these factors and considering the limitations of various solutions, you can make an informed choice and invest in body armor that best suits your specific requirements. If you need expert advice and guidance on selecting the right body armor kit, don't hesitate to contact our experts using our contact form here. We're here to help you find the perfect balance between protection, comfort, and affordability.